Thursday, November 18, 2010

Preparations for the Holiday


     Our leaves are raked but not yet gone. It is only the branches that blow in the wind now. I have been thinking about Christmas. It is not that far away. The stores are starting to display wonderful decorations. We have a blue spruce tree in our front yard. I suggested that we decorate it before the cold is upon us. We saw the sun briefly this morning. It soon gave way to the clouds of grey that fill our skies so often. The wind whistles in the large evergreens at the side of our house and I shiver with the thought of the snow that will surely come soon.
      For me Christmas time is full of memories of Christmas past. When I was seven years old Santa came to visit my brother and me to ask what we wanted. He came to our home, right upstairs into our bedroom. We were amazed. I asked him for a Barbie doll. When Santa left we both jumped from our beds and ran to every window on the second floor looking for his sleigh and the reindeer. We were so excited we could hardly sleep. I received the Barbie doll as my present and that assured me that Santa was real. Years later I learned that my father's cousin had dressed up to play Santa that night. I will never forget it.

     
     Christmas is family, shortbread, the smell of turkey, Christmas pudding, skating and driving to see the twinkling lights on neighbourhood homes. I have already set my dining table to see how the Christmas table will look; just a dry run. We will put up our tree in December and I want to make a wreath for our front door this year. I found this picture of a beautiful wreath. This could be my inspiration. 


Love Always,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment